Skip to main content

New Year, New Look

I always love the start of a new year as it feels like I've got a blank canvas to work from - a fresh start. I'm not big on making New Year's resolutions but I have decided to make a few changes in my life and to be more in the present and to come from a place of yes more.  Life is too short.

 This year I also wanted to make a big change to my formal living room space. And I have to tell you, I am more than thrilled with the final result (and it all came from things I had laying around the house - no need to buy anything new - YAY!!  Plus, now I have stuff to donate or sell).
 I had a mirror over the fireplace that sometime over the past year developed a crack down the side of the glass. I have not idea how it happened but it took away from the look. So down it came!

Sometime over the last year I purchased this big metal wall art from a yard sale with every intention of hanging it up over the doorway in my bathroom (it is a ridiculously large room and that space something, but I digress).

It occurred to me one evening that this art piece would look great in the living room and don't you agree?
 Then I just let this set for a bit so I could think about what I really wanted up on the mantel.

When I first started out decorating my apartments and homes I had NO decorating sense. No, I'm serious, my homes looked horrible. I had no idea how to place items in the right spaces and not overcrowd.  The overcrowding took me YEARS to overcome. I literally would want something in every empty spot.

My decorating got much better over the years (mostly from copying what I saw others do) and I've finally gotten to a place where I just want a simple, yet sophisticated look. Hard to do with three young boys in the house, but we're getting there.
 So while I mulled the mantel over in my mind I moved over to space at the bottom of the stairs. Normally I would have a big houseplant here but we recently added a new puppy to the mix that thinks if he can reach it, he should eat it. So bye-bye plants, time for a new look.

I loved having all the lanterns on my front porch for the holiday's so I decided to bring the look inside on a smaller scale. The big blue lantern in the back used to sit on entryway table but I wanted to pair down that space as well.
 So I think this is better. Now I just need to find some candles for inside or some kind of filler....Or not.
 Then it was time to go through all my "pieces" and find the right ones for the mantel.
 Much more simple than I've ever had it and I LOVE it.
I'm actually not 100% sure about that plant but I had to move it from the front hall due to the puppy eating it so we'll see how it does in this location. I don't get a lot of natural light in my living room so it might not last, but it has a better chance of surviving here and away from the dog!!
 This built-in is still a bit busy but I'm slowly working to pair it down.
 This is my favorite gift I gave my husband for Christmas - a hard cover book of our trip to Italy and Amsterdam this past year.
 The other side is better.
 My entryway table is much more simple too. I really like the Inspire sign here (last year it moved from the bookshelves to the mantel but I think this is a winner).
 A good reminder for when you leave or enter the house, don't you think?
 I had to get a new plant for this space that wasn't hanging down for the dog to get and I just love this pop of red. It will be perfect going into Valentine's Day!
 I also changed up the candle sconces in my formal dining room. I usually keep a plate resting up against the back of it with a candle in front but then you can't see the pretty pattern of the sconce. So I repurposed these cute little birds I had used in a centerpiece one year and then on my bookshelves the past year. They are so sweet, I'm just trying to decide if they need to be just a tad higher...
 I recently bought a square table runner (is it really a runner if it's square???) as I really don't like how long this one is but until the other one shows up this will have to work.

Then I took my newly acquired tray and stuck my regular pieces inside of it.  This is one of my favorite tips to share -- stack things up -- that way you can see everything when not "in use" and it take up less space in a cupboard somewhere. Plus, I really like this look of the silver box tray as a centerpiece. I have been eying a wooden box for my centerpiece but now I'm really happy with this!!
I hope you have enjoyed my new look for 2015. After all the business of all the Christmas decorations I really am enjoying the cleaner look that I created. Hope you did too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Having a Great Visit with Aunt Delly

I know it's been a VERY long time since I've last posted, but it's hard when you have company in town. Plus, I've been especially exhausted this past week. Jack get's so excited when we have visitors that he gets even crazier than normal! September should be fun when we have Daddy, Granny and Grandma in town. I've been continuously changing up our great room bookshelves, so I thought I would post a photo for you to see. If anyone has more ideas on how to make it look better, let me know. These are some pictures of Jack at gymnastics. He has gotten so much better at this club. They do a lot more strengthening stuff than the old place. Plus they have an older boys class so they don't just teach girly stuff at this age. It's been fun to see him do so well. Of course, a lot of time he still goofs around, trying to fall off stuff, but for the most part he's pretty good at staying on task. Last week they did the monkey bars and he LOVED it and was
 We have traveled around the SE for lacrosse tournaments in the past but this year we had the opportunity to travel to Denver, CO for one. I think it was one of my favorite. We tried to make it a family vacation as well, so we traveled in early the day before and spent some time exploring.  We headed down to Rock Park in Castle Rock and did a little hiking.  See that big rock in the background? Yup, the boys climbed all the way to the top. Ethan and I made it to the base of the rock while Jason, Jack and Wyatt climbed up top.  Ethan and I messing around waiting on the other boys.  Photos of the boys up top.  Our first game was an evening game, so we had most of the day to explore and get used to the altitude (which definitely got to the boys once they got on the field). The fun part of having good friends on the same lacrosse team is you get to explore together. We all drove up to Red Rocks to explore around the amphitheater.

The Olympics

Wow, I can't believe it's been so long since I've last posted a message. I guess it's been due to a combination of being really busy and not having much to say! Is that a contradiction? We've been letting Jack stay up late since Friday so that he could enjoy the Olympics. He really enjoyed the opening ceremony and has been in awe of the gymnastics. We went to a BBQ on Sunday night and just as we were getting ready to leave they put the ladies gymnastics on and all the kids say and watched. We had to drag Jack away. In other news, we're getting ready to do a really crazy thing. After only two months of having no debt and house payment, we're putting in an offer on a new home! We really had no plans to do this, but when we went to visit our friends on Sunday, we decided to drive around and look at the houses there. We had looked in there back before Ethan was born and fell in love with the place so we thought we'd just take a look and see how much i